Oklahoma City Will Lawyers
Helping Clients in Oklahoma City Draft a Will
At The Schroeder Group, we understand the importance of creating a comprehensive estate plan that includes a will. Our team of experienced attorneys can assist you in drafting a will that meets your specific needs and ensures your final wishes are carried out.
We have a dedicated Oklahoma City will lawyer on our team who is familiar with the state's laws and regulations surrounding wills. We can help you navigate the complexities of estate planning, ensuring your loved ones are provided for in the event of your passing.
What Is a Last Will and Testament?
A Last Will and Testament is a legally binding document that outlines your wishes regarding the distribution of your property and the care of any minor children in the event of your death. It allows you to appoint an executor who will be responsible for managing your estate and enforcing the terms of your will.
What Is a Living Will?
A Living Will, also known as an advanced directive, is a document that lets individuals state their wishes for end-of-life medical care, in case they become unable to communicate their decisions. It has no power after death.
What Makes a Will Valid in Oklahoma?
In Oklahoma, a will must be in writing, signed by the testator (the person making the will), and witnessed by at least two individuals who are not beneficiaries under the will. The testator must be at least 18 years old and of sound mind at the time of signing. It's advisable to have your will notarized, although it's not a requirement in Oklahoma.
Oral wills, also known as nuncupative wills, are considered legal in Oklahoma, but they have certain limitations. They are only valid if made during military service or the testator's last sickness and while in the presence of at least two witnesses. However, oral wills are subject to stricter requirements and may not be suitable for complex estates.
Holographic wills, on the other hand, refer to wills entirely handwritten by the testator. In Oklahoma, holographic wills are recognized as legal as long as they are signed and dated by the testator. Witnesses are not required for holographic wills to be valid, making them a more flexible option for individuals who prefer to draft their wills in their own handwriting.
It's important to consult with an attorney to ensure that your will meets all the legal requirements and accurately reflects your wishes, whether it's a written, oral, or holographic will.
The Benefits and Drawbacks of Drafting a Will
Drafting a will offers various benefits such as protecting your estate from going into probate, providing for your loved ones, and securing the future of minor children. It brings peace of mind knowing that your final wishes will be respected. However, there are drawbacks as well. Creating a will can be a complex process requiring professional guidance and it needs to be updated regularly to reflect changes in your life. Also, as a public document, a will might expose your estate to unwanted scrutiny.
Why Choose Our OKC Will Lawyer
- Expertise: Our team specializes in wills and estate planning, ensuring your wishes are documented accurately.
- Personalized Approach: We listen to your goals and concerns, crafting a customized plan that safeguards your loved ones.
- Local Knowledge: With a deep understanding of Oklahoma City's legal landscape, we navigate complexities with ease.
- Peace of Mind: Our meticulous attention to detail ensures your wishes are upheld, minimizing potential disputes.
- Compassionate Guidance: We're here to answer your questions, offering compassionate support during every step of the process.
Our OKC Estate Planning Services
- Will Creation: Craft a clear and legally binding will that reflects your desires for asset distribution and guardianship.
- Estate Planning: Plan for the seamless transfer of your assets, protecting your family's financial future.
- Trust Formation: Establish trusts to manage and distribute assets while minimizing tax implications.
- Probate Assistance: Our experts guide your loved ones through the probate process with sensitivity and efficiency.
Your needs drive our practice. We take pride in building lasting relationships and delivering legal solutions that stand the test of time. When you partner with us, you're not just a client – you're family.
Call Our Will Lawyers in Oklahoma City
Ready to secure your legacy? Reach out to The Schroeder Group's Will Lawyers in Oklahoma City today. Schedule a consultation and take the first step towards peace of mind.